Yorkshire Wensleydale, Watermelon & Beetroot Salad
This fresh and fruity summer salad is a perfect combination of textures and flavours from the crisp, fresh watermelon to the creamy, crumbly Yorkshire Wensleydale.
200g Wensleydale cheese
½ small watermelon, skin and seeds removed and diced into small chunks
300g steamed beetroot, cut into cubes
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
4 sprigs of fresh basil
2 Allotment salad heads, washed and gently broken into bite size pieces
2 tbsp Yorkshire rapeseed or olive oil
Squeeze of fresh lemon
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Serves 2-3 people
- Place the cubed cooked beetroot and watermelon into a bowl.
- Pour over the oil and lightly season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds onto a baking tray and place into a hot oven (180°C) for a few minutes until lightly toasted.
- Place the salad leaves on the base of the plate and spoon the beetroot and watermelon on top of the leaves to form a mound in the centre of the plate.
- Sprinkle the salad with the toasted pumpkin seeds and gently tear the basil leaves over.
- Finish by crumbling over the Wensleydale cheese and serve drizzle of the rapeseed oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon and serve.