225g (8oz) self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g (2oz) butter
25g (1oz) sugar
100g (4oz) Yorkshire Wensleydale & Apricot cheese, grated
150ml (¼ pint) milk
1. Sift flour, salt & baking powder in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, add the sugar.
2. Stir in the grated Yorkshire Wensleydale & Apricot cheese (leave a little for the top of scones).
3. Add enough milk to give a fairly soft, light dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to about 2cm ( ¾“) thick and cut with a 5cm (2”) pastry cutter.
5. Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk & sprinkle with remaining Yorkshire Wensleydale & Apricot cheese.
6. Bake in oven (220°C, 425°F, gas mark 7) for about 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool on wire rack.