454g (1lb) shortcrust pastry
900g (2lb) spinach – washed and shredded
25g (1oz) butter
1 large onion – chopped
300g (12oz) Kit Calvert Wensleydale cheese, grated
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 eggs – lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves – crushed
120ml (4 fl oz) soured cream
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1. Put the spinach in a saucepan with water and place over a medium heat until it is just cooked and no liquid remains, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. Melt butter in a small pan, add onion and cook until transparent. Combine the spinach, onion, garlic, Kit Calvert Wensleydale cheese, soured cream and parsley.
3. Lightly beat egg, nutmeg and seasoning.
4. Roll out half the pastry to line a 22cm (9”) pie dish. Pour in the filling.
5. Brush the brim with beaten egg and roll out the remaining pastry to cover the pie. Make a hole in the centre and glaze with beaten egg.
6. Bake at 200c/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes until golden brown