Spinach & Kit Calvert Wensleydale Cheese Pie
454g (1lb) shortcrust pastry
900g (2lb) spinach – washed and shredded
25g (1oz) butter
1 large onion – chopped
300g (12oz) Kit Calvert Old-Style Wensleydale cheese, grated
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 eggs – lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves – crushed
120ml (4 fl oz) soured cream
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1. Put the spinach in a saucepan with water and place over a medium heat until it is just cooked and no liquid remains, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. Melt butter in a small pan, add onion and cook until transparent. Combine the spinach, onion, garlic, Kit Calvert Old-Style Wensleydale cheese, soured cream and parsley.
3. Lightly beat egg, nutmeg and seasoning.
4. Roll out half the pastry to line a 22cm (9″) pie dish. Pour in the filling.
5. Brush the brim with beaten egg and roll out the remaining pastry to cover the pie. Make a hole in the centre and glaze with beaten egg.
6. Bake at 200 degrees/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes until golden brown