Spinach & Kit Calvert Wensleydale Cheese Pie
• Serves 6
• Prepare in 10-15mins
• Cook in 30 mins
Packed full of flavour, great served on its own or with a tomato and onion salad and sweet pickle.
- 454g (1lb) shortcrust pastry
900g (2lb) spinach - washed and shredded
25g (1oz) butter
1 large onion - chopped
300g (12oz) Kit Calvert Wensleydale cheese, grated
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 eggs - lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves - crushed
120ml (4 fl oz) soured cream
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- Step 1. Put the spinach in a saucepan with water and place over a medium heat until it is just cooked and no liquid remains, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Step 2. Melt butter in a small pan, add onion and cook until transparent. Combine the spinach, onion, garlic, Kit Calvert Wensleydale cheese, soured cream and parsley.
- Step 3. Lightly beat egg, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Step 4. Roll out half the pastry to line a 22cm (9”) pie dish. Pour in the filling.
- Step 5. Brush the brim with beaten egg and roll out the remaining pastry to cover the pie. Make a hole in the centre and glaze with beaten egg.
- Step 6. Bake at 200c/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes until golden brown