Savoury Yorkshire Wensleydale Turnover
225g (8oz) pastry
50g (2oz) butter
225g (8oz) Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese, crumbled
2 Cox’s apples
Salt and pepper
Yolk of 1 egg to glaze
1. Heat oven to 220c/425°f/Gas Mark 7.
2. Roll out pastry to an oblong and trim the edges.
3. Simmer the shallots in the butter until transparent.
4. Peel, core and slice the apples thinly.
5. Turn over a time or two with the shallots in the butter and season.
6. Crumble the Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese over the top half of the pastry oblong to within 2.5cm (1”) of the edge, spread the apple and shallot mix evenly over the cheese.
7. Brush the top edges with water, fold the bottom half up and press the edges together. Cut 3 slits diagonally across the top of the pastry and brush the egg yolk.
8. Cook for 20-30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.