Lemon Drizzle Scones
• Serves 6
• Prepare in 10 - 15 mins
Highly popular in our 1897 Coffee Shop – delicious served warm, with lashings of Dales Butter. Ingredients Scones 450g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting 350 g caster sugar 250g margarine 2 eggs Splash milk Juice of 2 lemons Zest of 1 lemon Icing 500g icing sugar 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice Method 1. […]
450g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
350 g caster sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
500g icing sugar
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Step 1. Heat oven to 160C
- Step 2. Tip the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, margarine, lemon zest and rub together into fine crumbs.
- Step 3. Add lemon juice, eggs and splash of milk. Mix until you have a dough.
- Step 4. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out.
- Step 5. Dust the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother.
- Step 6. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
- Step 7. Take a 5 cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Cut rounds until you finish the dough.
- Step 8. Press the remainder of the dough together and repeat the process.
- Step 9. Brush the tops with beaten egg, then carefully place onto a hot baking tray.
- Step 10. Bake for 25 mins until risen and golden on the top.
- Step 11. Leave to cool.
- Step 12. Make the lemon icing by combining 500g icing sugar with 4 large tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Step 13. Add a little more icing sugar or lemon juice as required, if the mixture is too thick/thin. 1
- Step 14. Pour the icing all over the scones.