How to create the perfect cheeseboard
Discover our top tips for how to serve the perfect cheeseboard to celebrate National Cheese Lover’s Day, on Friday 20th January 2023.
Always store your cheese wrapped, in an airtight container in the fridge, away from other strong-smelling foods. This will ensure that your cheese keeps its true flavour and prevent it from drying out.
Remove your cheese from the fridge an hour before serving, so that you can enjoy the full flavour and texture of the cheese. It’s always best to be served room-temperature.
Portions and Varieties
Allow approximately 80g of cheese per person for your cheeseboard; we recommend 4-5 varieties. Think about a selection of cheese varieties that will give you a contrast of flavours, textures and colour on your cheeseboard. Our classic cheeseboard collection would include a selection from the following….
• A ‘hard’ cheese with strong flavour such as Extra Mature Yorkshire Cheddar from our friends at The Yorkshire Creamery.
• A ‘crumblier’ variety; Yorkshire Wensleydale has to be the winning choice here!
• A naturally smoked variant – Smoked Yorkshire Wensleydale or Cheddar offer superb flavours.
• A buttery and creamy texture cheese – Kit Calvert Old Style Wensleydale is a firm favourite of ours!
• A Blue cheese – Wensleydale Blue has broad appeal for newcomers to blue cheese and connoisseurs alike!
• Not forgetting a Fruity and Savoury Blend – Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries an eye-catching firm favourite, and a cheese which adds fantastic colour too!
Choose a selection of crackers to serve – different types of cheese will match better to different varieties of crackers, and this will also add visual appeal. We have sourced some of the best luxury Yorkshire crackers and biscuits to enjoy with our range of cheese.
Serve your cheese with a selection of accompaniments – such as chutney, pickles & honey, grapes, freshly cut apple or pear, celery, nuts, figs, dried fruit, or charcuterie & pate. And don’t forget the rich, moist fruit cake!
A naturally sweet chutney made from apple, sultanas and traditional spices, pairs well with Yorkshire Wensleydale. Whereas a richer, full-bodied chutney such as Cheeseboard Chutney or Red Onion Chutney with Port is superb with Wensleydale Blue or Kit Calvert Old Style Wensleydale.
You may also wish to include some fresh crusty bread and some good quality butter. Our salted Yorkshire Butter has great flavour and compliments the cheese well.
- Don’t pre-cut the cheese
- Don’t dig the centre out of the cheese and leave the rind behind
- Maintain the cheese shape
- Use a different knife for every cheese
- Enjoy every mouthful!