Heritage Tomato Salad with Yorkshire Wensleydale Pesto and Mousse
• Serves 2
• Prepare in 10 mins
A fresh and delicious heritage tomato salad with Yorkshire Wensleydale mousse, Yorkshire Wensleydale pesto, honey, walnuts and capers.
- For the salad: 4 - 6 heritage tomatoes
- For the salad: 50g walnuts
- For the salad: 2 tablespoons of Yorkshire Honey
- For the salad: 100g Yorkshire Butter
- For the salad: Fresh salad leaves
- For the salad: A handful of capers
- For the salad: 50g Yorkshire Wensleydale
- For the Wensleydale Mousse: 500ml double cream
- For the Wensleydale Mousse: 1 tablespoon of crème fraîche
- For the Wensleydale Mousse: 100g Yorkshire Wensleydale
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: 100g pine nuts
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: 100g Yorkshire Wensleydale
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: 1 bunch of fresh basil
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: ½ garlic clove
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: Juice of half a lemon
- For the Wensleydale Pesto: Sea salt
- 1. Gently heat the honey and butter in a pan until combined.
- 2. Add the walnuts and cook for 5 mins until coated and slightly soft.
- 3. Remove the nuts with a slotted spoon, place on a lined tray and season well.
- 4. Roast the nuts in the oven at 180°C for 10 mins or until golden brown. Set a timer and check regularly to ensure they don’t burn, then remove from the oven and cool.
- 5. Cut the heritage tomatoes at interesting angles, macerate in Yorkshire Rapeseed oil, then arrange over crushed walnuts to hold them in place on the plate.
- 6. Blend the double cream and 100g of Yorkshire Wensleydale until smooth.
- 7. Transfer to a bowl, fold in the crème fraîche and whip until soft peaks are formed.
- 8. Gently heat the pine nuts in a pan and toast until coloured.
- 9. Place the basil and half of the parsley in a blender and pulse until roughly chopped.
- 10. Add the toasted pine nuts and garlic and pulse until combined.
- 11. Crumble in Yorkshire Wensleydale and continue to blend until a paste is formed.
- 12. Emulsify the paste by alternating splashes of olive oil and Yorkshire Rapeseed oil, keep blending until vivid green. Season to taste with sea salt and lemon juice.
- 13. Shallow fry the capers in a pan over a gentle heat until they darken and open.
- 14. Garnish the tomatoes with pesto, mousse, capers, walnuts, salad leaves and parsley.
- 15. Finally, crumble the Yorkshire Wensleydale over the top and serve.