Ham Hock Risotto & Wensleydale Blue Cheese Sauce
500g cooked ham hock, shredded
1 sliced onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
200ml white wine
350g risotto rice
About 700ml chicken stock, warm
50g grated Parmesan
1 tbsp chopped tarragon
250ml single cream
75ml white wine
200g crumbled blue Wensleydale cheese
- To make the risotto, first fry the onion and garlic in half of the butter until soft. Then add the rice and wine.
- Stir well and cook until nearly all the wine has evaporated. (The grains of rice will begin to ‘crack’, which means it is time to add the stock).
- Making sure the stock is warm, add a good ladleful of stock to the rice and stir regularly. When all the stock has been absorbed, add another ladleful and stir again. Keep repeating this process until the rice has softened but still has a slight bite.
- Stir in the ham and peas, and allow them to warm through.
- Finally, stir in the tarragon, remaining butter and parmesan.
- To make the sauce, bring the wine and cream to the boil, and simmer for about 15 minutes until it has reduced by a third.
- Stir in the Wensleydale Blue cheese until it melts.
- Serve the risotto with the sauce spooned over the top.
For more recipes from Sunday Brunch, please go to their website http://scrapbook.channel4.com/experts/sundaybrunch