We know of so many of you organising virtual cheese nights, FaceTime get-togethers and online meet-ups to get through this tough time of Self Isolation. We think it’s ingenious!
Staying in is the new going out! So to make it super special, we thought we’d pull together a blog on how to create “The Perfect Isolation Creation Cheeseboard”!
Whether you serve your cheeseboard humble or grandiose, here are our top tips guaranteed to hit the spot.
1. Always store your cheese wrapped, in an airtight container in the fridge, away from other strong-smelling foods. This will ensure that your cheese keeps its true flavour and prevent it from drying out.
2. Remove your cheese from the fridge an hour before serving, so that you can enjoy the full flavour and texture of the cheese. It’s always best to be served room-temperature.
3. Allow approximately 80g of cheese per person for your cheeseboard; we recommend 4-5 varieties. Think about a selection of cheese varieties that will give you a contrast of flavours, textures and colour on your cheeseboard. Our classic cheeseboard collection would include a selection from the following….
• A ‘hard’ cheese with strong flavour such as Extra Mature Yorkshire Cheddar from our friends at The Yorkshire Creamery.
• A ‘crumblier’ variety; Yorkshire Wensleydale has to be the winning choice here!
• A naturally smoked variant – Smoked Yorkshire Wensleydale or Cheddar offer superb flavours
• A soft, creamy cheese – this where Yorkshire Red takes the stage – another creation from The Yorkshire Creamery.
• A Blue cheese – Wensleydale Blue has broad appeal for newcomers to blue cheese and connoisseurs alike!
• Not forgetting a sweet, fruity variety – Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries an eye-catching firm favourite, and a cheese which adds fantastic colour too!
4. Choose a selection of crackers to serve – different types of cheese will match better to different varieties of crackers, and this will also add visual appeal. At Wensleydale Creamery, we understand ‘artisan’ cheese and we know what complements and flatters it. We have sourced some of the best crackers, flatbreads and oatcakes to enjoy with our range of cheese.
5. Serve your cheese with a selection of accompaniments – choose from grapes, chutney, quince, freshly cut apple or pear, celery, nuts, figs, dried fruit, or cured meats. Have a look at our Charcuterie & Pâté section for Chorizo & Salami made from only the best cuts of Yorkshire Pork and delicious authentic Pâté made with artisan methods by trusted family producers.
6. Consider which accompanying chutney will make your cheeseboard standout; different types work well with certain cheeses. For example, a naturally sweet chutney made from apple, sultanas and traditional spices, pairs well with Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese. Whereas a richer, full-bodied chutney such as Fig or Red Onion Marmalade is superb with Wensleydale Blue and Kit Calvert Old-style Wensleydale. Cheese is at the heart of everything we do and we know what can make cheese a new experience. Pickled fruits, sweetly spiced chutneys, jellies and jams… we have everything to take your cheeseboard to the next level!
7. You may also wish to include some fresh crusty bread, and some good quality butter. Our salted Yorkshire Butter has great flavour and compliments the cheese well.
8. Above all – take the time to enjoy your cheese! And if you aren’t sure which cheeses to choose, why not order one of our cut cheese boxes? The selected cheeses are freshly cut and wrapped just for you by our Cheese Shop team at The Wensleydale Creamery Visitor Centre, and delivered direct to your door. So, all you need to do is relax and choose what to enjoy them with!