1 head of celery
200g (8oz) onion, diced
200g (8oz) butter
1.1ltr (2 pints) vegetable stock
Fresh chopped parsley
200g (8oz) Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese, crumbled
200g (8oz) flour
1.1ltr (2 pints) milk
145ml (¼ pint) cream
4 slices bread
1. Wash and trim the celery, saving the leaves.
2. Heat butter in a large pan and add the onions, sauté until soft and the celery. Sauté for 5 minutes on a low heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Add the flour and mix well. Return to a low heat and gradually add the milk and stock stirring well to blend thoroughly.
4. Leave over a low heat for 30 minutes or until the celery is cooked.
5. When the celery is fully cooked, blend to a smooth texture in a food
6. Return to heat, crumble in the Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese and parsley.
7. Add the cream and adjust seasoning to taste.
8. Serve with crusty bread and croutons.