Artisan Cheese, Deli Items, Luxury Hampers and Gifts by mail. UK Mainland Delivery just £3.95. Free Delivery on all orders over £50!
Confit Duck Pithivier with Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries
• Serves 2
• Prepare in 3 hours mins
Enjoy this delicious confit duck pithivier with Yorkshire Wensleydale and Cranberries. A pithivier (pit-tiv-ee-er) is a round, enclosed pie usually made by baking two disks of puff pastry.
- 2 duck legs
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 500ml white wine vinegar
- 500ml water
- A dash of milk for brushing your pastry
- 50g salt
- 150g sugar
- Fresh salad leaves
- Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil
- 200g Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries, crumbled
- 50g Yorkshire Wensleydale
- 1. Place the duck legs in vegetable oil with garlic and thyme and confit (slow cook) in the oven at 90 -100°C or in a pan on the hob for 3 hours, or until the meat starts to fall off the bone.
- 2. Pick the cooked meat off the bone, season well and mix with crumbled Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries.
- 3. Carefully use a knife or cookie cutters if you have them to cut four 12cm discs of puff pastry.
- 4. Roll the filling into two neat, tidy, well-formed balls with your hands.
- 5. Enclose each ball between two pastry discs, decorate the top with a pairing knife and crimp edges, then lightly brush with milk.
- 6. Bake the pithivier in the oven at 180°C for 8-12 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- 7. Peel and finely slice the carrot into ribbons (this can also be done with a veg peeler) and chop the celery at interesting angles.
- 8. Mix the sugar, salt, white wine vinegar and water together in a pan then bring to the boil.
- 9. Allow the liquid to cool slightly then cover the vegetables and leave until slightly soft.
- 10. Place the pithivier on a plate, arrange the pickled veg in an attractive manor in a line to the side and garnish with fresh salad leaves.
- 11. Finally, crumble the Yorkshire Wensleydale over the vegetables and serve.