A popular scone “special” in our 1897 Coffee Shop – wonderful warm with lashings of our Dales Butter.
1 lb of self raising flour
3 tbsp of cocoa powder
200g of caster sugar
250g of unsalted butter a handful of crushed walnuts, plus extra for sprinkling on top
Splash of cream
250 g of icing sugar
1 shot of espresso coffee
1. Heat oven to 160c.
2. Tip the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, butter and cocoa powder and rub together until you have fine crumbs.
3. Add the eggs and splash of cream. Mix it until you have a dough.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to approximately 3cm thick.
5. Use a round 5cm cutter to cut out the chocolate scones, being careful not to twist the cutter.
6. Place the circles on a greased baking tray and bake for about 20 min.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
8. Beat together the icing sugar and coffee until smooth. Add more liquid or icing sugar as needed.
9. Pour the coffee icing all over the scones and sprinkle with walnuts.