Highly popular in our 1897 Coffee Shop – delicious served warm, with lashings of Dales Butter.
450g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
350 g caster sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
500g icing sugar
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 160C/.
2. Tip the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, margarine, lemon zest and rub together into fine crumbs.
3. Add lemon juice, eggs and splash of milk. Mix until you have a dough.
4. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out.
5. Dust the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother.
6. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
7. Take a 5 cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Cut rounds until you finish the dough.
8. Press the remainder of the dough together and repeat the process.
9. Brush the tops with beaten egg, then carefully place onto a hot baking tray.
10. Bake for 25 mins until risen and golden on the top.
11. Leave to cool.
12. Make the lemon icing by combining 500g icing sugar with 4 large tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
13. Add a little more icing sugar or lemon juice as required, if the mixture is too thick/thin.
14. Pour the icing all over the scones.